The Invincibles 1912-1914
The club continued to thrive until the year 1905, when a very unexpected occurrence caused a complete cessation of its activities. This occurrence was the advent of the great Welsh Methodist Revival of 1904 which spelt doom to rugby in Ammanford. Such was its effect that both players and officials severed their connections with the club. Even the use of the playing field was withdrawn, and membership of the W.R.U. discontinued. Nevertheless there were a few die-hards left who were determined that rugby would not completely disappear from the town. The outcome of this determination was the formation of a junior side with the title of "Ammanford All Whites" – a youth team of its era. Little did they know that they had laid the foundations to a side recognised as the finest in the club's history – the Ammantord lnvincibles 1912-14.
With a decline in the fervour of the religious revival, rugby soon regained its former status in the town. In 1907 the "Ammanford All Whites" assumed the title of Ammanford R.F.C. and with a ready-made side the club soon re-established itself. The colours of the team remained green until 1911 when they were changed to all white. The old ground was again made available and in 1907 membership of the W.R.U. Was re-obtained. Public support was much in evidence and the fortunes of the club were in the ascendancy. By 1910 the club was beginning to show glimpses of the brilliant combination which it eventually became. Immense enthusiasm was created amongst the supporters and large crowds were present at home games. Gates of £100 plus were not uncommon – an excellent achievement when one considers that the price of admission was 2½ p, representing a gate of 4,000 spectators that many present day clubs would be pleased to receive.
At the A.G.M. of 1912-13, the decision was passed to change colours to blue and black hoops, and these colours have remained to the present. The side of 1912-14 was one of the finest that the club produced. Although not in the sense "Invincible" having lost on a couple of occasions in this period they had the distinction of not having their line crossed for three seasons – a magnificent record. Practically the sole recreation in Wales at this time was rugby football. There were no cinemas, discos etc. The players of this period dedicated themselves to the game. They even trained by moonlight. They even met on Friday nights to discuss the other team's weaknesses and to discuss the tactics to employ. Such devotion could only end in one thing – perfection. No heroes, just men playing for each other and for the team. Sadly the last survivor of this side, Trevor Williams of Tirydail Lane, died in the 1980s – the end of an era.
Six members of the Invincibles 1911 – 1914. Every player of the Invincibles team was presented with a club cap and blazer for their parts in the magnificent achievement of not having a try scored against them for three seasons. Back Row: Dai Evans, Dai Lewis, Tommy Jones. Front Row:Abbott Griffiths, George Rees (capt), Trefor Williams.
Please wait as the server processes your request. Do not attempt to refresh the page.