07 January 2019 / Club News

Waunarlwydd Away

Waunarlwydd 19  Ammanford 36

Ammanford travelled to Waunarlwydd in more hope than expectation knowing that skipper and hooker Chris Morris had to play his first ever game as tighthead prop. However, within the first 25 minutes the visitors had taken a 28 point lead thanks to four excellent tries.

Within minutes of the start an attacking line out for Ammanford led to several driving phases before loose head Dylan Phillips drove over under the posts. Within minutes a counter attack from deep in their own half saw Ammanford split the home defence wide open before a final inside pass found supporting scrum half Alex Davies also go over under the posts.

Waun came into the game pushing hard into the visiting 22 before a wayward pass was intercepted by centre Ceri Rees to go 70m to score the third try. The fourth try came from a kick out of defence which was gathered by flanker Jake Guerin his long inside pass found wing Dafydd Pritchard hit a quality angle to split the defence, this was followed by two sharp passes the final one from hooker Zac Phillips to his brother Dylan for him to go over for his second try. Centre Steff Roberts converted all four and the Ammanford supporters could not believe that a four try bonus point had been achieved within 25 minutes.

Waunarlwydd finally gained some territory and after several minutes of pressure a catch and drive led to their first score. However, with confidence up Ammanford within a minute had turned the ball over and a snipe and offload by outside half Ryan Williams saw Rees go over for his second and the score at the half was 7-33.

The second half was much harder for the visitors. Waunarlwydd having had a trimming off their coach dominated large periods of the half and it took some stout defence to control the scoring. After 10 minutes the visitors lost flanker Steff Rees through a yellow card. Taking advantage of the extra man Waun drove a lineout over in the corner, 12-33.

The Ammanford scrum was under pressure with only quality ball coming from lineouts thanks to Steff Rees and Hedd-Wyn Jones. Ammanford were now hanging on with big defensive hits coming in from Guerin. The whole team worked hard but eventually Waun scored their third try. With time running out the aim for Ammanford was to try and stop Waun getting their bonus point try. With one last surge the visitors won a penalty 40m out that Roberts put over to steady the nerves for the remaining couple of minutes.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments