28 January 2020 / Team News

Nantyfyllon Home

Ammanford 47  Nantyffyllon 28

When Ammanford travelled to Nantyffyllon earlier in the season it was a forwards slog on a small muddy pitch. This latest encounter was the complete opposite, a fast flowing offloading game.

Ammanford started on fire with some flowing, nice rugby and within ten minutes had scored and converted two tries. The first came from a driving lineout for prop Rhodri Jones to go over, Outside half Ryan Williams slotted the conversion from the touchline. Ammanford were playing without fear and soon after a flowing move, started on the half way line an attacking ruck three meters out was finished powerfully by No8, Harry McBride.

Ammanford continued to offload in all positions but inevitable there were errors and the visitors capitalised on one such error and after some nice inter-passing of their own went over to score. The visiting outside half showed that he could also put conversions over from the touchline.

Not being to free with their rugby when the home team won an attacking penalty the kick was opted for to extend the lead. Nantyffyllon came back and from an attacking scrum the home backrow seemed asleep as the visiting scrum half scampered up the blind to score.

Ammanfords positive rugby, led by some powerful runs by Man of the Match Carwyn Harries earned them a couple of penalties and with Williams on kicking form these were put over to widen the gap to 26-14. Nantyffyllon had the last word of the half, however, when some more fluent rugby was rewarded with a try under the posts meaning the half time score was 26-21.

Nantyffyllon started the second half in positive mode and it took a last ditch tackle from wing Ceri Rees to prevent the visitors going the length of the field to score. The game was being played at such a pace there were some who were concerned about the referee’s health and his ability to keep up, but he did survive.

The game was decided when Ammanford scored three tries in ten minutes. A long kick down field and with a kick only being as good as the chase, young full back, Carwyn Morris sped down the field to put his opposing number under pressure. He was rewarded with a charge down which he gathered and went over under the posts. From the kick off Ammanford ran the ball and after much inter-passing involving forwards and backs the final pass found hooker, Rhodri King, who again went over under the posts.

Without a thought or taking a breath Ammanford from the kick off smelt blood and were showing some lovely hand this time for centre Steffan Roberts to get the reward and scored next to the upright and the score was suddenly 47-21.

With still twenty minutes to go several sides would have capitulated, but to their credit Nantyffyllon fought back getting the last score of the game with a deft little grubber from 10m out. Final score being 47-28 and a well earned 5 points for Ammanford.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments