14 January 2020 / Club News

Dunvant Home

Ammanford can’t handle the weather.

Ammanford 17   Dunvant 22

The aim for the home team was to continue their fine run of recent form. However, they came up against a tough Dunvant team but worse the weather which they found particularly hard to handle and as much as home supporters could not understand many of the referee’s decision in the end they made too many mistakes of their own to deserve the win.

Starting positively they took an early lead through a Ryan Williams penalty, but some kicking and handling errors allowed the visitors to get into the game. One of these errors gathering the ball gave Dunvant a 5m lineout which allowed them to catch and drive to open their scoring.

Ammanford attacked and full back Ceri Rees hit a great angle only for the referee to call him back citing a forward pass. While still on the attack Ammanford moved the ball wide and looked on for a try but a wayward home hand knocked the ball forward. This was missed by the referee and on attempting to pick the ball up it was knocked on again and finally in the process of scoring the ball was knocked on for the third time all of which the referee missed and the try was allowed, extending Dunvants lead to 3-12.

With the remainder of the half being slogged out in the wind and rain Ammanford continued to try and play a running game where a kicking game would have made more sense. Both sets of supporters looked puzzled at their watches and with no injuries in the half could not work out why the half lasted over 50 minutes!

Ammanford stuck with their running game but the visiting scrum half showed how to use the wind by pinning the home side in their own half. A poor kick out of defence by Ammanford was gathered and ignoring the weather Dunvant moved the ball fluently and went 60 meter to score under the posts.

Down by 16 points is a position Ammanford have found themselves several time this season and again fought back well only to come up short. This was started with some forward power and a drive from a 5m lineout was rewarded with a penalty try. This continued pressure was again successful and after several minutes on the visitors line second row Sion Williams powered over under the posts. It was now a two point game.

Basic passing skills in the horrendous weather was very difficult and in trying to run out of their own half looking for three points needed to win they conceded a penalty which allowed Dunvant to extend their lead. This half was exactly 40 min which did not allow Ammanford time to get the points they need and Dunvant ran out winners 17-22.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments