04 September 2017 / Team News

Bridgend Athletic Away

Bridgend Athletic 19   Ammanford 29

Ammanford started the season with a long journey to Newbridge Fields to play Bridgend Athletic. Last season both teams won their home fixture so a though opening game was expected.

The game started evenly with the action based between the 22m lines. Bridgend Athletic were the first to make a positive move when a scrum on the half way line set up a flowing movement which created an overlap for the home wing to scamper over in the corner 5-0.

Ammanfords failure do secure quality first phase ball from lineouts meant that the home side were able to establish long phases of attacking play. It was only the excellent work at the breakdown by flanker Owen Davies who managed to win four turn overs in the first 30 min to slow down the home attack. The resulting pressure led to a couple of penalties which allowed the Athletic to extend their lead to 11-0 by the middle of the half.

It took Ammanford 30 minutes to establish their first extended period of attack and managed to win a penalty which outside half Ceri Morris slotted to reduce the lead to 11-3.

From the kick off an error gave Bridgend Athletic a srum 10m from the left hand touchline. With a retreating scrum the home scrum half wriggled free and scampered down the touchline to score in the corner, 16-3.

The half finished with number 8 Mike Owen being yellow carded.

The second half started evenly, with yellow cards also evening up when the home second row was yellow carded. Ammanford coach, Warren Leech, made some early changes bringing on hooker Jason Rosser and second row Marco Dallavalle. Both made their presence felt. Jason with some accurate throwing in and Marco with some powerful carries.

With more ball Ammanford looked more positive and from a wayward kick Ammanford countered from their own 22m line. After some good interpassing a final offload from Steffan Pryce Griffiths saw centre Andre Owen gallop over under the posts, with Morris adding the extra two points 16-10. The home team came back on then attack and won a penalty to extend their lead to 19-10.

Ammanford were going from strength to strength with some more big carries followed by a break from Morris. The pressure led to another yellow card for the home team. The visitors were now spending more and more time in the home 22 and this caused the defence to concede several penalties and eventually another yellow. Ammanford took advantage of the 13 man home team and a quick tap penalty saw Dallavalle power over, Morris added the two and Ammanford went into the lead for the first time in the game, 19-17.

From the kick off and a good take by Dallavalle led to some slick passing putting prop Dylan Phillips through a gap. He had the skills to link with the backs and some nice work by Daf Pritchard and SPG put Owen through for his second try and Morris added to the two, 19-24.

The home side were now struggling and Ammanford got their bonus point with a try from a 5m scrum for No.8 Michael Owen. 19-29.

After the start the visitors were delighted to leave with a bonus point win aand look forward to their first home game next Saturday.Type the text here

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments