18 April 2018 / Team News

Maesteg Away

Maesteg V's Ammanford - A Game given away

Ammanford travelled up the Llinfi valley to play Maesteg RFC with positive intent. They played a lot of flowing rugby but were let down on several occasions when the final pass was dropped with the line at their mercy.

The visitors started well and within the first five minute a catch and drive line out was stopped just short, the ball was moved sharply to the blind side for outside half Steff Roberts to cross for the first try. He unfortunately hit the upright with his conversion attempt, 0-5.

Ammanford came back on the attack but instead of keeping things simple they kept looking for miracle passes that would go astray. This eventually allowed the home team back into the game and with their first positive attack, in the 20th minute, a smart grubber by the outside half saw the left wing diving over in the corner, 5-5.

Playing some flowing rugby Ammanford again opened up the Maestrg defence and a snipe by scrum half saw him through and a simple pass was inexplicable dropped 3m from the line. From a forceful run by prop Rhodri Jones gained a penalty but Roberts again hit the post. Oddly Ammanford’s second try came with Maesteg on the attack and moving the ball wide a long pass was picked off by winger Dafydd Pritchard who went 50m to score. Roberts added the two points and the score at half time was 5-12.

Early in the second half a counter from his own 22 by full back Ceri Rees produced some lovely rugby which was only spoilt by the final pass being dropped 5m from the line. Ammanford stayed on the attack and won a penalty which Roberts slotted, 5-15.

An Ammanford error gave Maesteg an attacking scrum from which they produced a lovely three-quarter move from a scrum put their left wing over for the second time, 12-15. The next score was also self-inflicted when a kick through was cleared up by Rees on his own line, but instead of clearing the ball they tried to move it off their own line with a pass out of the back of the hand which went astray and that led to a Maesteg penalty, 15-15.

With the game going into the last quarter further Maesteg pressure led to a yellow card for prop Dylan Phillips. Within a couple of minutes Maesteg slotted a penalty to take a winning lead, 18-15. Ammanford did have the final chance of the game running a tap penalty from 10m out, but again a wayward pass with the line at their mercy cost them a try and the game.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments